- Our Courses
- Our Exams
- All Examinations
- ExamTrack Resources
- Applications Within The UK
- Applications From Outside The UK
- About Examinations
- How to teach LAMDA Examinations
- How to find a Teacher
- Teach LAMDA Exams Graphic
- All Examinations
- Widening Access
- Support Us
Introduction to Screen Acting
Two-week short course
All information on these pages is for applicants and students starting in Summer 2019.
This immersive and intensive practical two-week course is based on the approach we take to screen training across our full-time courses: prep, shoot, review. The course is led by a group of industry professionals made up of actors, directors and screenwriters.
Taught at our west-London campus complete with dedicated screen studios, rehearsal rooms and edit suites, you will spend two weeks exploring the challenges of acting in the ever-evolving digital filmmaking industry. You will have the opportunity to watch your work back in a supportive, reflective environment, enabling you to develop both your work and your understanding of the industry.
What classes will I take and what will I learn?
In the first week:
- Working in groups alongside those with previous acting experience, you will examine screenplays from an actor’s perspective, gain insight into narrative structure and understand how this informs screen acting preparation
- You will spend time in front of the camera to explore the unique qualities of screen acting, and how different directorial methods can inform your work
In the second week:
- Audition training - both conventional live auditions and self-taping
- Mock auditions with professional casting directors where you will receive personalised feedback on your work
- Shooting a scene in one shot
- Devising and shooting your own micro-short film on a smartphone
- Shooting a duologue with a professional director
- Watching your edited duologue alongside your self-made film as part of our film festival on the final day.
This course is not validated by a higher education institution (HEI). It is one of LAMDA’s own range of non-accredited certificates. Students who complete this course will receive a LAMDA Short Course Certificate.
*Please note that material recorded on this course cannot be made available for use outside of LAMDA.
Applications for our 2020 courses will open this winter 2019.
Minimum Age: 16 years (Unfortunately we are unable to accept applications if you are under the minimum age on the first day of the course). There is no upper age limit.
Entry is by application form with a short personal statement.
This course is ideal for applicants with some theatre experience but who may not have worked on camera.
There is no application deadline for this course but we advise you to apply early, as places are limited.
Online application fee: £21
Fluent English speakers*
*Note: We require a level of English that is approx. IELTS 6.0. It is not mandatory for English language tests to have been taken prior to attending this short course however we recommend that for non-native English speakers that if you have not completed Level 6 IELTS then you must have the equivalent English language experience. This will be assessed where necessary via telephone interview by the Admissions team, please note their decision is final.
Dates and Fees
We will be announcing our 2020 dates and fees soon.
Note: In the unlikely event that LAMDA is compelled to close due to a force majeure, no fees can be returned nor compensation made for any period of tuition that may have been lost through the Academy’s inability to carry on its work as a result of circumstances beyond its control.