Although we don’t have our own student accommodation, we can help you find your home while you study with us.
Accommodation for students who will be studying for a year or longer
London has a wealth of housing options to choose from. LAMDA is a short walk from Barons Court tube station, near Hammersmith in London. Find us on Google maps here. Most students in LAMDA live in private rental properties with those from their course. Many tend to live in West London in areas of Hammersmith and Fulham, Chiswick, Kensington, Ealing, Northfields, Earls Court and Acton, but some also live further out, as the rent is less expensive. It also depends how far you are willing to commute. Some students live a 5 minute walk away, while others live a 45+ minute tube/bus/train journey away.
Ahead of joining your course and the start of term, our Admissions team will invite you to join an online group to meet other students. Many students live together with other students from their year group, as well as others from different years or courses. Final year students often post details of spare rooms.
Steps for securing your housing
- Work out your budget, including your travel costs to get to LAMDA, course expenses, potential bill, food and general living costs
- The training at LAMDA is intensive and long days should be taken into account when choosing the location of your accommodation, alongside the commute.
- Browse spare rooms on sites like Spareroom, the LAMDA Facebook group, Rightmove and Spot a Room
- You'll be invited to join the LAMDA Facebook group if you are looking for a place, or roommate as graduating students share details of the rooms they are moving out of too. Many students live together with others from their course group, or people from different years. This page can also be used to sell or giveaway unused items/furniture.
- When viewing a property, take your time and take photos. Try to view a few on one day. London rentals can move pretty quickly, but there are lots of properties available. Make sure you're 100% happy before moving forward with the application. You may need to have a guarantor, they are there to pay for your rent should you not be able to.
- When you move in make sure you take an inventory, this can be written and have photos, this is used to protect your deposit so you record the actual condition of the accommodation and its items when you move in.
- When you arrange to view a property, take a friend with you.
- Do not feel pressured to choose the first property you see or share any information or money that you do not need to. If you are unsure about a rental listing or need further advice our Admissions team are there to support you.
- Once you have your housing sorted, make sure you take out home insurance to cover your possessions. Check with your bank, as many offer great insurance deals for students.
Accommodation for students taking short courses
We book a set allocation of rooms in west London near the academy which may be available for you if you are enrolled on the LAMDA Semester Programme or the Shakespeare Summer School courses (eight and four week). They are assigned on a first come, first served basis and cannot be guaranteed, so make sure you get in quick! The rooms are at an additional cost and are for students who are aged 18 or above.
When you fill out your application, you’ll be asked if housing is required. If your application is successful, we will provide you with all the information you need to apply for housing in your welcome pack.
If you are not allocated one of our pre-booked housing options, don’t worry: we’ll provide you with a list of recommended alternatives so that you can arrange your own accommodation.
You can contact us on [email protected] with any further housing enquiries.
LAMDA is a small drama school and does not offer onsite accommodation. However, there are student accommodation buildings dotted around London which are within commuting distance of LAMDA. These can be expensive but are more reflective of the typical Halls of Residence experience and are found in Ravenscourt Park, Notting Hill and Westminster.
Take a look at the links below for more information.
Many students choose to live in West London, see below for an overview of the distance these locations are from the LAMDA building.
• Barons Court (Distance to LAMDA - 0.1 Miles)
• Hammersmith ( 0.7 Miles)
• West Kensington ( 0.5 Miles)
• White City (2.9 Miles )
• Shepherds Bush (2.1 Miles)
• High Street Kensington (1.7 Miles )
• Fulham (1.5 Miles)
• Putney (3.1 Miles)
• Ravenscourt Park (2.2 Miles)
• Stamford Brook (2.6 Miles)
• Chiswick (3.4 Miles)
• Gunnersbury (4.3 Miles)
• Richmond (5.8 Miles)
• Acton (3.9 Miles)
• Ealing (6.2 Miles)