Housing in London
Although we don’t have our own student accommodation, we can help you find your home while you study with us.
Students who will be studying for a year or longer
London has a wealth of housing options to choose from. Most students in LAMDA live in private rental properties with those from their course. Many tend to live in West London but some also live further out, as the rent is less expensive.
Find out who's on your course ahead of your start date by joining the LAMDA facebook group. Many students live together with other students from their year group, as well as others from different years or courses. Final year students often post details of spare rooms.
Steps for securing your housing
- Work out your budget, including your travel costs to get to LAMDA, course expenses, potential bill, food and general living costs
- The training at LAMDA is intensive and long days should be taken into account when choosing the location of your accommodation, alongside the commute.
- Browse spare rooms on sites like Spareroom.com, the LAMDA facebook group and Rightmove. Room rents average between £500-800 per month, depending on the size, facilities and location.
- When viewing a property, take your time and take photos. Try to view a few on one day. London rentals can move pretty quickly, but there are lots of properties available. Make sure you're 100% happy before moving forward with the application. You may need to have a guarantor, they are there to pay for your rent should you not be able to.
- When you move in make sure you take an inventory, this can be written and have photos, this is used to protect your deposit so you record the actual condition of the accommodation and its items when you move in.
- When you arrange to view a property, take a friend with you.
- Do not feel pressured to choose the first property you see or share any information or money that you do not need to. If you are unsure about a rental listing or need further advice our Admissions team are there to support you,
If you need some more help on where to go, you can always contact us on [email protected]
Once you have your housing sorted, make sure you take out home insurance to cover your possessions. Check with your bank, as many offer great insurance deals for students.
Accommodation for students taking short courses
We book a set allocation of rooms in west London near the academy which may be available for you if you are enrolled on the LAMDA Semester Programme or the Shakespeare Summer School courses (eight and four week). They are assigned on a first come, first served basis and cannot be guaranteed, so make sure you get in quick! The rooms are at an additional cost and are for students who are aged 18 or above.
When you fill out your application, you’ll be asked if housing is required. If your application is successful, we will provide you with all the information you need to apply for housing in your welcome pack.
If you are not allocated one of our pre-booked housing options, don’t worry: we’ll provide you with a list of recommended alternatives so that you can arrange your own accommodation.
You can contact us on [email protected] with any further housing enquiries.